The Import function imports data from a .csv file into the FotoNotes portal. Data is imported into a template format set up in the portal. Once imported, data is converted into work orders or projects using that template format.
- Start by ensuring that your excel spreadsheet is a CSV file type
- Delete any rows that are not data (i.e. headers)
- Add two blank rows to the top of your spreadsheet
- To import data into the preset template you will need to have the field keys from that template.
There are two ways to do this:
- Export template data from the portal. See Export Data
a. The first row will be the field name.
b. The second row is the corresponding field key.
2. You can also find the field keys by going to your template under Settings>Templates and selecting your template. Under each field name will be a field key.
5. Now enter the field keys exactly as they appear in the template or export spreadsheet into the second row and corresponding data column. You can add the field name to the first row but it is not necessary
6. Importing address fields for geocoding/gps coordinates. Make sure you have either one field that includes the address, city, state, zip code or this can be 4 separate fields. The field keys need to match these keys for geocoding to work:
7. You can also add new data columns to your import file for Status, Priority, Assign User, and Due Date
a. Status field key= status
Data in the status column should be one of the statues you have set up in your template.
You can find the statuses and their value (that will be entered into the data column of your import spreadsheet) by going to Settings>Templates and selecting your template. Select Edit Template.
Your statuses will be listed under Manage Status Options. To obtain the Status value click edit next to the Status.
b. Priority field key = priority
Data in the priority column of your import file should be one of the following:
c. Due Date field key= due_date
*All dates must be in a format of yyyyMMdd (i.e. 20161130) to be imported
d. Assign User = assign_user
Data in the Assign User column of your import file should be the username from the FotoNotes portal.
8. Once the import spreadsheet is set up correctly (see Common Errors below before uploading) go to Admin> Import
9. Select the template and then select the import file (must be a .csv file) from your computer
10. An Import Summary will appear and show if there are any rows with errors. Error messages will be shown below the Import Summary. *If you have an error please see Common Errors below
11. If your total number of rows show in the Rows to be imported, you can select import.
12. Once the import is complete go to the Type where your template is located. You should now see a new work order/project for all of the data rows you imported
If there are errors in the import spreadsheet an error message will be displayed. Common errors include incorrectly formatted data:
- All dates must be formatted as yyyyMMdd (i.e. 20161130)
- Geocoding/GPS coordinates need to have the field keys of: address, city, state, zip
- All Boolean values must be input into the import spreadsheet as TRUE or FALSE
- Money field should NOT include the $ sign.